Fuel Steering Committee
The AFRAA Joint Fuel Purchase project was launched in 2011 as a way to reduce fuel costs whilst enhancing the knowledge and expertise of participating airline on pertinent issues related to fuel such as fuel quality, insurance, IATA stipulations etc. Detailed Functions of the project include:
- To coordinate, facilitate and conduct joint negotiation of aircraft fuel purchase in order to achieve favorable price and terms for participating airlines from various locations to which such airlines operate.
- To assist participating airlines and other members of AFRAA achieve lower fuel cost, better and efficient utilization and management.
- Spearhead, coordinate and manage joint negotiations and purchase of aircraft fuel at a price favorable to participating airlines compared to individual purchases.
- Develop fuel purchase and negotiating methods and procedures in keeping with the requirements of the industry and update the same from time to time.
- Provide expertise to participating members in fuel purchase and management, utilizing available experts within the members and/or in the industry.
- Provide and/or coordinate training of airline staff in the negotiation and handling of fuel purchases as well as fuel cost management and other areas relating to commercial aviation fuel.
- Lobby with other industry bodies such as IATA, against high fuel taxes and charges